Everyone is protection, even a bit selfish, when it comes to their mobile phone. Understandably, it is one of the most personal things an individual can possess. Hence it is completely justified if you feel a bit awkward when a close friend asks for your mobile phone, no matter what his/her reason is. For the sake of maintaining a good friendship, it is not advisable to deny the request outright. If you have kids at home, you know how much of a nuisance they can create if you don’t give them your phone for playing games. There is a very good chance they end up changing some settings or even worse, accidently deleting stuff.So is there a viable option that will allow you to keep your personal stuff away from others even when you have to lend your phone to them? The guest mode in Android does just that.
The latest versions of Android like the Android 5.0 Lollipop come with a default guest mode. The guest profile doesn’t have any trace of your personal data and looks like a newly installed phone at best. Users cannot access your phone records, messages, photos, videos or any other personal data. Neither are they allowed to change preferences or delete stuff. It is identical to the Kid’s Corner in Windows Smartphones. So, the next time someone asks for your phone, all you need to do is activate your guest profile and hand it over with a smile!
Here are the steps to follow to activate Guest mode in an Android phone. For convenience, the steps below are for the Android 5.0 Lollipop.
- Open the notifications bar from the top portion of the screen
- Double tap on your avatar on the top right corner
- This will present you with three options; Google Account, Add guest and Add user
- Select Add guest
- This will allow your smartphone to switch to guest mode. This might take some time to fall into the groove and hence the phone might be a bit slow initially. Nothing to worry, things will be back to normal in no time.
- Now, when you want to exit guest mode and go back to your default profile, all you got to do is follow the first and second step, choose Google Account and you are good to go. Please note that all data saved in your guest account will be deleted as soon as you exit from the same.
Most smartphones these days support guest mode because of their ever increasing popularity. If they are not found under the guest profile, search for a pre-installed app that does the same. The name of this features might vary with different models, so make sure you read the catalog carefully. You can always go to the web and visit various forums to understand more about this feature on your phone.
If by any chance, your model or OS doesn’t support the Guest feature, you can always use App locks to lock down your personal apps to protect your data.